An Occurrence at Owl Creek




2. Reader's response

When i first read the last line of the story i was completly shock. As soon as we got into the story and started to think that Farquhar actually had a chance to live, the author chose to abruptly end our hopes. He was dead and the scene that we were reading about was the fruit of his imagination. I really thought that he had a chance to survive so the fact that he died got me really disappointed. The way the author described the actions and the events had me super focus and excited because I really got into the story. I was rooting for Peyton and his chances of seeing his family again but I should've known that I was reading a short story and that in most cases, what i want to happen won't happen. One of the thing that i liked the most about this story is the pace of it. It starts super slow by describing the life of the main character, who he was and the way he used to live and why he was in the situation that he was in. All of a suden we jump into the action of the story wich seems to be super fast and all of a suden we get into a major drop. I think that this was one of the most important element of the story. It gave it life and made me want to read more. The fact that this story was taking part a long time ago is also Something that i really like. The fact that it was in a period that i Don't really know made me a lot more interested in the story. On the other hand, I didn't like the fact that there was a lot of word that i didn't understand. The vocabulary was clearly not recent and it made me stop a lot of time. I had to search up a lot of words and it kind of ruin the pace or the tempo of the story. It wasn't enough to make me stop my lecture but it's not Something that i really appreciate.


3. Comprehension questions

1. North

2. 

a) ''With their greater infrequency the sounds increased in strength and sharpness. They hurt his ear like the thrust of a knife; he feared he would shriek. What he heard was the ticking of his watch.''

b) sight: ''A rising sheet of water curved over him, fell down upon
him, blinded him, strangled him
'' Hearing: ''he heard the deflected shot humming through the air ahead, and
in an instant it was cracking and smashing the branches in the forest
beyond.''

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Response Journal - The lady or the tiger?